A beginner's guide to vintage
Nothing beats the charm that seems to be inextricably tied to a piece of vintage fashion! The craftsmanship, weighty fabrics and ornamentation are luxurious and rarely fail the test of time. For those who are looking to explore the world of vintage, the experience can be daunting. Here are a few simple ways to incorporate vintage into your wardrobe:
1. Start small! A great way to add vintage flair to your style is through accessories. Try out a purse, a brooch, a string of pearls, a hat or a watch. The piece can either be a subtle complement to your outfit, or a vibrant conversation piece.
2. Search for the similar! Fashion is cyclical in nature, so many old trends find their way into modern fashion. A great way to ease into the world of Vintage is to look for items with similar colours, necklines, shapes or patterns that you currently find in your closet. You will be more likely to wear the things that you are familiar with.
3. Don’t stress over sizing! The way the fashion industry sizes clothing has changed greatly over the years. What you know to be a small, medium or large, is probably very different from times-gone by.
4. Bring a friend when you shop! It’s always nice to have someone come along who knows your style and will answer your questions or concerns honestly. Plus, who doesn’t love a personal fashion cheerleader?
5. Remember, vintage is a broad term that in its most general sense means “from the past”. You don’t have to buy an item that is 50, 60, or 70 years old for it to qualify as vintage. There are many great styles from the past 20- 30 years that would make a great addition to any wardrobe!
Now that you’ve got the tips to get started, be sure to check out the VintAgeous Vintage Fair on February 26th and 27th at the Fernwood Community Centre. WIN will be setting up shop on the 27th from 10-5. Looking forward to seeing you there!