Six reasons to give the gift of thrift
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, you may find yourself scrambling to find a great gift for the important person in your life. You could do chocolates, or dinner, or flowers, but have you ever considered the gift of thrift? Here are six reasons you and your special someone will love thrifting.
1. It’s green and it’s great! It probably comes as no surprise to you that we live in what’s being dubbed as a “Throw Away Society.” Many of the consumer goods we purchase, including clothes, have a very short life before they find their way into the landfill. Thrift shopping is a great way to divert waste and extend the life of products that are still in excellent condition, but would otherwise be thrown out.
2. Fabulous finds for less! A survey of 2,000 women found that most articles of clothing are worn a mere seven times. What’s more, 33 percent of women consider their clothing to be ‘old’ after wearing them three times or less. While the statistics are startling, this is great news for thrifters, and bargain hunters alike. Many of these beautiful, gently worn items with less than a week of wear find their way into our shops and as a result, WIN stores are able to offer boutique sections filled with designer labels at a fraction of the price.
3. Thrifting is for everyone! Contrary to popular belief, thrift stores carry more than just clothing. WIN stores carry furniture, housewares, sporting equipment, electronics, linens, books, and other fantastic items for every day living. That means fashionistas, techies, cooks, antiquers and crafters can find items to pique their interests.
4. The thrill of the perfect find! Thrift stores are wonderful because they house items from many different generations, with no style-bias. This makes shopping a grand treasure hunt full of unexpected surprises. Savvy thrifters may stumble across a brand name dress, or a collectible plate no longer in production.
5. A great resource for creative projects! In the past few years, there has been a resurgence in popularity of do-it-yourself projects and up-cycling. With a few simple tweaks, an old teacup can become a candle, or vintage frame can be repurposed as a fashionable jewellery holder. Thrift stores are a one-stop shop, with endless possibilities for your next project.
6. Do good, feel good! Your purchases at WIN stores directly benefit people in the community. Profits generated in-store help us provide women and their families with programs and services to support them along their journey to self-sufficiency and wellness.
Convinced? You can find gift certificates for your Valentine at any of our WIN store locations.
For more information on our programs, click here.