The top 5 reasons to shop at a thrift store
1. Shopping at thrift stores supports good causes and the money that you spend benefits the community directly. At WIN, we are 100% self funded. The revenue from our shops, together with financial donations, covers the entire cost of running our non profit cooperative, and funds our empowerment programs for women.
2. Shopping at thrift stores is good for the environment. By buying second hand items, you are diverting them from the landfill, as well as creating less need for new clothes to be produced. Clothing production is often energy intensive and polluting. For the things that don’t sell, WIN has an extensive program committed to recycling as much as possible to divert further waste from the landfill. We also compost and recycle almost everything we use in our business operations.
3. Shopping at thrift stores is a creative process. Want to experiment with your style? Because thrift shop clothing prices are lower, you can dare to try out different styles and colours, find one of a kind items or retro pieces to add to your wardrobe. Another way to get imaginative is by finding items and repurposing them. Turn a frame into a cork board, paint furniture with your favorite colour, reupholster a chair to give it new life. As well, thrift stores often carry art and crafting supplies at great prices.
4. Shopping at thrift stores is fun. A lot of people thrift shop for the social aspect of either getting to know the staff at the stores they visit, or shopping with friends. From sharing the excitement of finding the perfect item, or the laughs you get from trying on a funny hat, thrifting can be a source of entertainment.
5. Shopping at thrift stores can be thrilling. You never know what you might find. You can find designer items and high quality clothing at thrift shops, as well as treasures and collectibles. Shop on WIN’s discount days and you will get an even better deal. Wisdom Wednesdays offers seniors a 25% discount every Wednesday. Studious Saturdays offers students a 25% discount every Saturday and Salute Sunday offers members of the military a 25% discount every Sunday (excluding holiday or special stock).