WIN's Holiday Hints for a Merry Season
It's that time of year again. For many it's a wonderful time to get together with family and friends and enjoy traditions and festivities but the holidays can also be stressful and hard on your pocket book. Here are some fairly easy and inexpensive gift and decor ideas that you can make from thrifted items. And, read on to learn about a great alternative to shopping that you can do with friends and family.
This is a sweet teacup that I found at WIN and poured some wax into to make a candle. This lovely gift or decor item is quick, easy to make and costs under $5. You could even melt down thrifted candles instead of purchasing wax.
Here are my top 5 favourite ideas from the internet for gift and decor ideas:
1. I love these upcycled star ornaments made from felted sweaters. You could also make stockings and fill them with baked goods and clove studded oranges. If you want to make a bunch of stockings, why not use a thrifted wool blanket? If you are short on time, we have a very large selection of like new and very festive stockings in the store.
2. It really is the thought that counts and sometimes a nice gesture is all it takes to give a nice gift. Hand make a card with a nice sentiment inside and add a unique ornament to it. Our stores are bursting with inexpensive and beautiful ornaments.
3. Need a small gift for someone? Why not buy a thrifted holiday mug and fill it with some homemade goodies or tea?
4. A fun idea for decor or gifting is to make a button wreathe. Click here for some inspiration.
5. And, this is a clever alternative to buying a tree.
Give a gift that keeps on giving. As an alternative to gifts, you could get together with friends, family or collegues to contribute to a cause that is important to you this holiday season. We are asking our supporters to join us in gathering gift cards for our New Start Program participants. Every week we put together furniture and housewares packages for families setting up their homes after leaving transition houses. This year we would love to be able to include gift cards in those packages that families can use for entertainment or groceries. Learn more from our previous blog.
We hope that you all have a wonderful holiday season!